We appreciate our fans at Riverside International Speedway and work hard to make sure you get the best possible experience when you visit our facility.
Part of the experience is knowing what to expect when you get here. If you don’t find what you are looking for in the following information you are encouraged to contact us.
Riverside International Speedway is located in James River at exit 30 off Trans Canada Highway 104, between New Glasgow and Antigonish. We are approximately two hours northeast of Nova Scotia’s capital city of Halifax, and from Halifax Stanfield International Airport.
Approximate distances to some of the larger cities or towns in the region are:
- Antigonish, Nova Scotia – 13 km/ 8 mi
- New Glasgow, Nova Scotia – 43 km/ 27 mi
- Truro, Nova Scotia – 101 km/ 62.7 mi
- Sydney, Nova Scotia – 200 km/ 124 mi
- Halifax, Nova Scotia – 200 km/ 124 mi
- Moncton, New Brunswick – 268 km/ 166
- Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island (via Pictou ferry) – 155 km/ 96 mi
- Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island (via bridge) – 333 km/ 206 mi
- Bangor, Maine – 747 km/ 464 mi
Riverside International Speedway is nestled in the picturesque James River area on the Northumberland shore of Nova Scotia, just 10 minutes from the Town of Antigonish. The region is rich in culture with warm interesting people, delicious cuisine and lively traditional Celtic music. Come for a race and stay to explore the region’s events, attractions and natural beauty.
Hotels and Motels
- Antigonish Evergreen Inn
- Claymore Inn
- Coastal Inn
- Homeward Inns
- Maritime Inn
- Oasis Motel & Campground
- St. Francis Xavier University
- Victorian Inn
- Riverside International Speedway on-site camping
- Hyclass Ocean Campground (Havre Boucher)
- Oasis Motel & Campground
- Whidden’s Campground (in Antigonish)
Third-party links are provided for informational purposes only and in no way imply a recommendation.
With ample parking for more than 800 recreational vehicles in our designated camping areas, the IWK 250 race weekend sees the population of James River, Nova Scotia swell by thousands – fans that literally move in for a long weekend – all here for a good time, not a long time – to quote Canadian rock legends ‘Trooper‘.
In order to help ensure a good time for all campers and that the privilege of camping at Riverside International Speedway continues for a long time, we ask everyone in the camping area to be aware of, and abide by, the following:
- Only one recreational vehicle (RV) per site. Tents are allowed on the same site as an RV.
- All RVs must be parked in designated camping areas ONLY.
- RVs MUST be parked parallel to lines, when provided.
- Reserved sites are available for the IWK 250 weekend only. Please check event details or call 902.863.2410.
- There is a “tent only” area; if you do not have an RV please use this area as specified.
- There are no serviced sites; please ensure your onboard tanks remain closed at all times. Portable toilets are available in the designated camping areas.
- A water truck and a sewage dump truck will be available at bigger events (fee will apply).
- Quiet times vary by area; please be aware of the time that applies to your site and respect it.
- All motorized vehicles (golf carts, motorcycles, etc.) must be parked by midnight. Nova Scotia has a helmet law and they must be worn at all times.
- Garbage bins are located throughout the camping areas; please make sure you use them. Do not litter and please leave your site as you found it.
- Campfires are subject to weather conditions and approval by the appropriate governing entities; please ensure any fires you start are a safe distance from your neighbours.
- Track management is not responsible for any vehicles, RVs, tents, or other personal property on site. Park at, and use the space, your own risk.
- In case of an emergency the track civic address is 101 Beaver Mountain Road, Antigonish County, Nova Scotia.
It is important to note additional policies may be implemented for certain events; details will be included with event information as necessary.
Camping Policies for Special Events
Additional terms may apply for certain events at Riverside International Speedway, including but not limited to:
- IWK 250 – A permit is required for all overnight stays. Please review special terms and request a permit application.
ALL RULES AND POLICIES WILL BE STRICTLY ENFORCED – CHOOSING NOT TO RESPECT THEM MAY RESULT IN EVICTION FROM THE PROPERTY (at the discretion of track management and/or contracted security and/or officers of the law who may be on patrol.)
Camping area policies are subject to change without notice.
Rain Out Policy
In the event of rain, the program will be temporarily suspended. Every effort will be made to complete the program on the same day after the rain stops. If Riverside International Speedway officials decide inclement weather will prevent the return of safe racing conditions in a reasonable amount of time, the remaining races will be postponed or cancelled as follows:
- If no qualifying or heat races have run, your rain check will be honoured at the scheduled rain date.
- If a portion of the qualifying events have been completed, 50% of the value of your rain check will be honoured at the next scheduled event.
- If the main event is more than 50% complete the show will be considered over.
SORRY – NO CASH REFUNDS.
Please keep your ticket stub as the rain check is attached this is the only way you will be able to compensated in case a portion or full rain out happens.
This policy is subject to change without notice.
Working journalists in the following categories are welcome to apply for media credentials to cover events at Riverside International Speedway (RIS).
- Broadcast (TV and radio)
- Freelance/ Photographer (must be on assignment)
All applicants must be over the age of 18. Media qualifications will be determined by RIS staff.
Tips for getting your credentials processed quickly and efficiently:
- Print, complete, and submit our Media Credential Application
- Be sure to include your business card (first-time submissions)
- If freelance and/or photographer please be sure to include assignment editor contact information
- Print and Online only/ First-Time Submissions – It is helpful to provide two or three recent examples of your work
Please allow at least one week for the credential application to be processed. You will receive a confirmation email; in the event you do not receive an email please follow up at email@example.com (subject ‘MEDIA CREDENTIAL’) at least 48 hours prior to the event.
Media Credentials should be picked up at the pit gate on race day. You will be required to sign a waiver. Your credential will provide access to the pit and grandstand area. Interview requests can be handled in advance – please call 902.444.0703.
To be added to our News Release distribution list please email firstname.lastname@example.org (subject ‘MEDIA REQUEST’).
Pit Entry Policy
The pit area of a race track is a work area and can be dangerous.
While entry is allowed to non-workers everyone who enters the pit area must first sign a release and admission is restricted to those 18 and older. The only exception to the age policy is for competitors under 18 years of age BUT in order for them to gain entry to the pit area they MUST submit a duly executed Parental Consent Form for Minors (by both parents/guardians) at least 24 hours in advance of arrival at the pit gate.
All those who enter the pit area, especially on race days, need to be on high alert at all times – particularly for moving race cars – and please respect the work area around the race cars. Drivers will often stop for photos and autographs but don’t be put off if they are focused on the event, and not you – after all, their pit is their workspace.
Track rentals are available for private test sessions.
Rent Riverside International Speedway for private test sessions
The track is available to be reserved for private practice sessions to teams that race at our facility. Our Track Rental Agreement form must be completed for each rental, and turned in to the track manager prior to the start of the rental. Reservations can be made by calling 902-863-2410 or by emailing email@example.com.
Rental reservation requests must be made by a team registered to compete at, or with a Touring series visiting, Riverside International Speedway during the current race season. The team will have to have completed a current year Riverside International Speedway Registration Form/Insurance Waiver. The driver of the car must be the person indicated on said form; should a test driver be required they must also complete a Registration Form/Insurance Waiver before driving on the track.
A maximum of three registered teams can share the rental with only one car on the track at a time. Cars participating in the rental cannot be swapped during the rental period, i.e. the three cars at the track must be the same three cars indicated on the rental reservation form.
Rental time slots are noon to 4 p.m. and 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. The team track rental fee is payable in advance at the following rates per four-hour time slot: $150 for one car; $175 for two cars and $200 for three cars. HST is included.
Track Rental Application Policy
PLEASE READ POLICY IN FULL BEFORE SUBMITTING RENTAL APPLICATION FORM
All personnel entering the infield area for practice sessions must first sign a release. A Minor’s Release signed by the parents/guardian is required for anyone under the age of 18. Riverside International Speedway strongly advises you to leave anyone not actually driving or working on the race cars out of the pit areas.
Your practice time starts when you enter the gate and finishes when you exit the gates. If you are unable to make your scheduled practice time, you must call to cancel at least 24 hours in advance. “No-Shows” will be automatically billed for the reserved session/s.
Race cars must have, and drivers must wear, all safety and other equipment per rules governing their division.
Rental Fees do not include Fire/Medic personnel or vehicles, wreckers, insurance, or any track staff or equipment. These services are available through the track at an additional fee.
If weather threatens your ability to use the track, call the track manager at 902-863-9614 to confirm the inclement weather at the track and make alternate arrangements. If so, no cancellation penalty will apply.
A minimum of two people are required for each rental and you must have access to a cellular phone while on-site. Should you need emergency assistance call 911 first, then call 902-863-9614* to report the incident to the track. *If not available call 902-863-1596.
You rent the track AT YOUR OWN RISK and you also accept responsibility for any and all persons on-site during your rental. No alcohol or other illegal substances are permitted on-site during the rental. No person under either of these influences will be permitted on-site during the rental.
You are required to clean up any fluid spillages and are responsible for any facility damage that may happen during your rental. You are also required to ensure the pit gate is locked after you enter and when you leave.
Failure to comply with the Riverside International Speedway Team Track Rental Policy & Procedures outlined here and on the team track rental reservation form may result in eviction from the premises and forfeiture of future rental and/or racing privileges.